I WANT YOU TO EAT FAT. Stopped reading yet?
We as a society are petrified of the substance. Thanks to the early 90’s fad of “low fat” diets that swept the nation taking the fat out of our food and replacing it with a truck load of artificial sweeteners, chemicals and GMO’s so that we would look at the label and think “YAY no fat = I’m skinny!”.
What happened next? Diabetes, cancer and a whole host of digestive disorders followed. I’m going to spare you the soap box rant about all of that but if you want to see a mind blowing film that explains this, check out Katie Couric’s “Fed Up”.
Ok so cutting to the chase, in order to survive, make hormones, grow hair, keep skin healthy, regulate immune function and actually HELP weight control, we need adequate fat in our diets. So this winter while we are shlepping through the snow, low on energy and reaching for that 3rd cup of coffee and bag of skittles for an energy boost, I have a super tasty, satisfying and wholesome drink full of good fat that will rock your world.
(No this is not a coffee shop in the Bronx)
I was a total skeptic when I first heard about this. Butter and oil in coffee? You trippin boo. But after some investigation and experiments using it myself (aka I tamed the ADHD gremlin inside of me and killed my admin work in half the time… #toolegittoquit) I am a believer. The guy who introduced this is of course a bit of a fanatic and there is definitely a cult following but if you just make the coffee and skip the hype I think you’ll see it makes you feel 10x stronger/smarter/faster. Plus it tastes like sexy heaven.
- Brew some high quality coffee. This matters. What you put in your body and especially in the magical bulletproof coffee will affect your brain power and energy levels so don’t skimp, get the good shit. Nespresso, local coffee shops with organic beans, Old Soul Co. and many more. Put the hot coffee in a blender or magic bullet.
- Add at least 1-2tbsp Kerrygold unsalted grass fed butter. You can add up to 6tbsp but I think its mildly aggressive depending on your energy output (ie. couch potato: add 2tbsp, crossfit warrior: add 6tbsp)
- Add 1-3tbsp of coconut oil. Again, moderate according to your activity level. I do 1 tbsp of each butter and coconut oil for one large cup of coffee.
- Add any flavors or Soy, Almond or Coconut milk as you see fit to flavor and jazz it up. I like adding cinnamon and a little stevia for sweetness.
- Blend that bitch: Blend it all together till its mixed and nice a frothy
- ENJOY AND GET SOME SHIT DONE!